Studio 2: Projects I worked on over the break.

Aside from catching up with my favourite games, I had plans to do animation related research over the break.  However, while watching a C++ tutorial about a sudoku solver, I turned my attention to this.

While the C++ tutorial was talking about a brute force solver, I was thinking of a quicker solving method that used some form of logic and set about creating it in Unity using C#.

Utilising only 2 scripts (one to draw the cells and menu and the other to perform to logic.  I have come up with a solver that clears the “Easy” and “Medium” levels with ease.  It also solves the “Hard” puzzles about 95% of the time but is unable to fully solve the “Evil” levels and won’t even generate a single number in the “World’s Hardest Sudoku Puzzle”. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9359579/Worlds-hardest-sudoku-can-you-crack-it.html

Medium puzzle entered into the solver.

Medium puzzle entered into the solver.

Solved Medium level Puzzle.

Solved Medium level Puzzle.

Hard puzzle entered into the solver.

Hard puzzle entered into the solver.

Solved Hard level Puzzle.

Solved Hard level Puzzle.

I have programmed the solver to look for hidden pairs in Vertical, Horizontal and within the sub-square of the puzzle.  It also can search for the formation called “X Wing” and has reasonable success with the formation called “Swordfish”.

Evil puzzle entered into the solver.

Evil puzzle entered into the solver.

"Solved" Evil level Puzzle.

“Solved” Evil level Puzzle.

I have not been able to program in a way to search for the formation called “XY Wing” or “Unique Rectangles”.  I will hope to continue work on this project over the course of this trimester and my aim will be to solve the “World’s Hardest Sudoku Puzzle”.

The other project I worked on was my team’s entry into the “40 Hour Make a Thingy” competion at Qantm/SAE.  This project was “Running Late” (pronounced like the coffee, with an accent over the ‘e’).  The words were Coffee, Comb and Crescendo.

As the group had 5 programmers and I couldn’t be in on the Tuesday due to Centrelink commitments, I ended up reverting to my old degree and looking after any assets that couldn’t be located in the Asset Store.

We over scoped and as seems to be my lot when creating assets for a “Make a Thingy” comp, none of the assets were used in the final version for the competition (Only once have my assets been used in the final of this competition, and on that occasion, my team won.  Will have to let future teams know this 😉 )

The only code I can claim responsibility for is the hot/cold shader for the coffee temperature bar, which was simply a bastardisation of the health bar I created for “Valour” last Trimester.

Clock running in test window.

Clock running in test window.

Coffee to go with temperature marker overhead.

Coffee to go with temperature marker overhead.

Custom light shades created for level.

Custom light shades created for level.

Mail trolley to be used as mobile barricade in the level.

Mail trolley to be used as mobile barricade in the level.

You need hands to carry the coffee.

You need hands to carry the coffee.

Even though my assets weren’t in the final version we ended up showing on the day, I believe that, as a group, we will continue on with the development of this idea.  We only missed the brief by a few days and it will be an interesting game to have on display for the occulus rift in the library for future generations of Qantm students.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s